Traveller Not Tourist is a grassroots volunteer organization set up in 2007 giving travellers the opportunity to volunteer in a supportive environment, without the huge price tag. We currently support several worthy projects working with children, all of which are run by separate organisations. Please see our website for more information on the projects (www.travellernottourist.org).
Interns work from 8:30am – 12:30pm and 1:30pm – 5pm Monday to Friday, but must always be there to welcome new volunteers (7am – 9pm Monday to Sunday). Time of in lieu will be given for work carried out outside of normal office hours. This internship is unpaid but with free accommodation in a single room in the dedicated Volunteer Accommodation. The duration of this opportunity is 6 months (with 2 weeks holiday) and may start at any time.
- Volunteer Co-ordinator – volunteer inductions and exit interviews (house and projects), chair weekly volunteer meetings, sorting out any problems, answering volunteer emails, liaise with projects (problems, when volunteers are arriving etc), help organize trips, monthly rota, keep project information up to date, Child Protection procedures (checking documents, conducting Skype interviews)
- Liaise with UK based charity (www.pachawawas.com)
- Manage donations (100% of all donations go straight to the projects, we also raise some money via Tour sales)
- Possibility to teach English a couple of hours a week
- Helping to manage the dedicated volunteer accommodation (occasional cleaning/tidying if the cleaner is away, ensuring that volunteers follow the house rules, flat induction/exit interviews)
- Occasionally help in the projects
- Give tour information and arrange/troubleshoot as necessary
- High intermediate level of Spanish
- Extrovert but able to work alone and manage time effectively.
- Good communication skills
- Willing to help
- Enjoy working with children (preferably with some experience)
- Capacity to lead and manage different types of people of all ages
- Patient and flexible
- Respect and have an open mind to the customs and rules in the Children’s Home and cultures from all over the world.
- Professional and discrete. Understand that they are a member of staff and therefore separate from the volunteers.
Several past interns have written blogs about their experiences with us. You can read them on our website (http://www.travellernottourist.org/news)
Traveller Not Tourist founder, Jay, also wrote a blog about how Traveller Not Tourist started, which you may like to read. You can find the first instalment here: http://volunteeringinfo.org/traveller-not-tourist-jays-journey-pt1.html and can to follow the links from there to read the whole story.
How to apply
Send a CV and a covering letter stating what you could bring to the organisation and why you are interested in the position, as well as anything else you would like to include to Ms Jay Byrd at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, we will require a valid DBS check as part of the recruitment process.